Thursday, July 30, 2026

The Dance of the Lambs and the Birds



Ameen AnimashaunGreen, 

and green, and suddenly            a light trapped in a soft shell.                        Above the city of Jericho, the chickens are coming home             to roost. I rewrite history                         and keep the apple where no handcan reach it. Sinai because             your breath is fear. Pisgah                         because your touch is hurt.I am scared of all that I am              capable of. To break a body                         is to know it  for what it truly is. You say this              is love, so I surrender my wants                         at your feet. To know a body is to break it wide open, and I have grown              to love everything about nothing.                         Out in the wilderness, the guard dog is eating a thunderstorm              and the night’s skin is an eye                         sore. Damn the consequences. I trace the lone graph of my body              and study its careful intricacies. Then,                         like you, I lift the nothingness of me above my head and tip it over              the blade of rocks. I do not want to bury anything                        I do not want to bury. Copyright © 2025 by Ameen Animashaun

No comments:

Post a Comment